NFI Internship: Communications & Multimedia Position
The National Fisheries Institute’s Summer Internship Program
Communications & Multimedia Intern
National Fisheries Institute — the leading trade association for the commercial seafood industry — is seeking a Communications & Multimedia Intern to work in-stride with NFI’s communications team. This internship opportunity will provide the selected candidate with excellent experience in industry storytelling — both proactive and reactive — in the Nation’s Capital.
This hybrid internship will be managed by the Communications team in its headquarters just outside Washington, D.C. Current undergraduate juniors and seniors with communications & marketing, and/or information graphics or multimedia design backgrounds are encouraged to apply for this paid internship, which will begin in May/June 2023.
The deadline to apply is April 28, 2023
When applying to this internship position, please send the following to NFI’s Communications Director, Melaina Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Current resume.
- Cover letter explaining your skill set and why you should be considered for this opportunity.
- Two work/class writing samples (such as published articles, news releases, fact sheets, memos, plans, essays, research papers, creative briefs, infographics, design projects, website pages, PowerPoint presentations, etc.).
- Help manage NFI content and collateral to our trade association members via videos, newsletters, website, and social media.
- Develop media lists, influencer lists, media briefs, editorial calendars, and media results reports.
- Participate in both internal team and external meetings on Capitol Hill or with member companies.
- Work on press releases, media statements, op-eds, infographics, communication & media toolkits, fact sheets, collateral copy, start-to-finish video production, social media content/campaigns and other materials.
- Create website material and resources for NFI’s branded platforms.
- Help record, produce, and market NFI’s podcast via several platforms.
- Conduct social media analytics and brand research as well as audits.
- Coordinate interactions with local, trade, and national media, as well as influencers, when appropriate.
- Support and enhance NFI’s brands in printed and digital platforms.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Other potential opportunities for growth:
- Gain experience in technical skills like writing, editing, digital/web design, social media management and research, as well as, broader skills like understanding the integration between government affairs and communications strategy.
- Tailor existing internship program to meet individual needs.
- Write creative and media briefs and blog posts.
- Have one-on-one mentoring with designated individuals.
- Exposure to a variety of marketing and communications focus areas, including media relations, internal communications, public affairs, strategic research, branding, crisis communications, social media, and more.
Prior internship experience is a plus.
Ideal applicants possess:
- Strong research, organizational and writing skills.
- A proven understanding of marketing and communications, social media and online and traditional media
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficiency using AP Style is preferred.
- Solid critical thinking skills.
- Ability to take initiative and assume responsibility.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Excellent attention to detail, including proofreading.
- A positive attitude and drive.
- Strong Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills.